Foil Tent Roasted Turkey
- Bacofoil Non-Stick Foil
- 3.5 kg (8lb) to 11kg (32lb) turkey
- Vegetable oil
- PREHEAT oven to 170°C. Line roasting tray, at least 2 inches deep, with Bacofoil Non-Stick and set aside.
- REMOVE neck and giblets from turkey; rinse turkey and pat dry. Place turkey in foil-lined roasting tray. If desired, loosely stuff turkey. Brush with oil. Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of thigh, not touching bone.
- MAKE a foil tent by placing a sheet of foil over turkey, leaving 1 inch between top of turkey and foil tent for heat circulation. Crimp foil onto long sides of pan.
- ROAST turkey until meat thermometer reads 80°C. For approximate roasting times see chart. For stuffed turkey, add 30 minutes to roasting time. To brown turkey, remove foil tent after 1 hour of roasting. For easy slicing, cover turkey with foil and let stand 15 minutes.
- All these times are based on a 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4 oven
|Turkey Size||Cooking Time|
|2.7kg – 3.6kg (6-8lbs)||2 ½ – 3 ¾ hrs|
|3.6kg – 4.5kg (8-10lbs)||3 ¼ – 3 ¾ hrs|
|4.5kg – 5.4kg (10-12lbs)||3 ¾ – 4 ¼ hrs|
|For this size, cook 170C / 325 F / Gas Mark 3 oven|
|5.4kg – 6.8kg (12-15lbs)||4 ¼ – 5 hours|
*Large amounts of fat will collect in the roasting pans when roasting large turkeys. Check the turkey one hour before the end of the roasting time and remove excess drippings, if necessary, with a baster or ladle. At the end of the roasting time, remove enough fat to safely lift roasting pan from the oven.