Marie’s Favourite Walnut Meringue Slice
Makes one 8 by 12 inch pan (How many servings you get out of it is up to you).
These have long been my absolute favourite bars. I’ve been making these since my kiddies were kiddies! Delicious brown sugar cake base, gooey brown sugar and nut meringue topping. From the old Fannie Farmer Cooking School Book. Gorgeous.
- 114g butter, softened (1/2 cup)
- 400g soft light brown sugar (2 cups packed), divided
- 2 tsp vanilla, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large free range eggs, separated
- 175g of plain flour (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 115g of chopped walnuts (1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/300°F/ gas mark 3. Butter an 8 by 12 inch baking tin really well. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and half of the sugar (200g/1cup) until light and smooth. Beat in the salt along with half of the vanilla and the egg yolks. Sift together the baking powder and flour. Stir this into the creamed mixture to combine well. Spread into the prepared pan.
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until soft peaks form. Continue to whisk, whilst adding the remaining brown sugar a bit at a time. Whisk until all is incorporated. Stir in the chopped walnuts and remaining 1 tsp of vanilla. Spread this mixture over the cake base in the tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Allow to cool completely in the tin before removing and cutting into bars.
(The suggested size of the bars is 1 inch by 4 inches)
Recipe by Marie from The English Kitchen.