- 4 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Bacofoil Foil Lined Parchment
- Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1.
- Create some meringue parcels by moulding the Bacofoil Foil Lined parchment into cups into which you will add the meringue mix. Make sure you allow for them to grow and expand.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until very stiff – the whites should stand in stiff, not floppy, peaks when the beaters are lifted out. Once you have reached this point, pour in roughly half the sugar and the vanilla extract and whisk again until the mixture becomes very thick, firm and shiny. Add the remaining sugar and whisk again until thick, firm and shiny. If you like meringues with soft, mallowy centres, just add 1 tsp cornflour and 1 tsp white wine vinegar to the mix along with the sugar.
- Once light and fluffy spoon the meringue into the Bacofoil Foil Lined parchment cups, ensuring to keep the mixture light. Do not over-fill. Bake in the oven for 1 hr, turning the heat down to 120C/100C fan/gas ½ after 30 mins.
- Remove from the oven – they should peel easily away from the parchment – and cool on a wire rack. Can be made up to a week ahead and kept in an airtight container, or frozen for up to 3 months, between layers of parchment, in an airtight container.
- Melt some chocolate in the microwave or in a glass bowl over some hot water. Drizzle over the meringues when cold
Thanks to Melissa in Shropshire for the recipe.