Simple Roast Chicken with Oomph
- Bacofoil Roasting bag
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in 8 wedges
- 1 stick celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs french tarragon
- 4 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 x 1.5kg free range chicken
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract (Marmite, Toastmate)
- Black pepper
- 1 glass (125ml) white wine
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Take a roasting bag and place the vegetables in the base with the herbs and garlic.
- Take the chicken and paint the skin with yeast extract, sprinkle with black pepper. Place the chicken on the vegetables, tip the bag slightly and pour in the wine. Seal the bag and place on a roasting tray, pop in the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the bag, taking care as it will be very hot, allow to rest for 10 minutes while you make the gravy.
- Strain the juices into a saucepan, bring to the boil, season and thicken with a cornflower paste (1 tbspn cornflower mixed with 1 tbspn water). Simmer for 2 minutes then carve the chicken, serve with the gravy and your favourite vegetables.